Tests & CI

Camille camille.moulin at free.fr
Wed Jul 11 19:31:30 BST 2018

Hi all,

As discussed during the Paris sprint and more recently in a Kdenlive
café with Nicolas, I'd like to help setting up a relevant CI for Kdenlive.

There is already a general KDE CI that builds  the code for various
platforms [1], but I have yet to understand how it works, mostly from an
organizational point of view. Nicolas mentioned that the main point of
Contact is Ben Cooksley, but  I have not contacted him yet. One thing to
be noted, is that this CI could be already useful, for instance, as it
shows that  requiring MLT 6.10 broke the build. [2]

In parallel, I have set up an experimental CI on Gitlab.com, because it
seemed to me that it could have a few  advantages, especially in terms
of flexibility.

What I have done so far is just to mirror the code and write a simple
.gitlab-ci.yml file on the refactoring_timeline branch: it builds the
code, runs cppcheck  in the "build" stage then runs "build/runTests
-platform offscreen" in the test stage.

The results of cppcheck are available in the artifacts of the build
stage [3] and the result of runTests are in the logs of the test stage
[4]. Please note that the test stage fails not because of the results of
the tests, but because runTests segfaults (purposely, if I recall
correctly). One detail : it should be easy  to get email notifications
on the results (I get them as owner of the repo, but  I guess anyone
could subscribe).

So, in short term, I see two (non exclusive) possible actions :

- Contact  KDE infrastructure team to have an instance that suits you ;
that means : the OS of your choice, the right branch to be tested
(refactoring_timeline I guess ) and automatically running runTests

- Clean/adapt the .gitlab-ci.yml file, add it to the code repo and
automatically mirror the repo on an official kdenlive acccount on a
gitlab instance (it doesn't have to be gitlab.com).

What do you think about it?

Cheers,

Camille

[1] https://build.kde.org/job/Applications%20kdenlive%20kf5-qt5%20SUSEQt5.9/