kdenlive-19.03.70-34672a1-x86_64.appimage eats all memory, crashes system due to swapping

Harald Albrecht harald.albrecht at gmx.net
Wed Dec 19 20:01:45 GMT 2018

Urgh, this is a really bad experience -- didn't thought that kdenlive
refactoring nightly might be this bad. The
https://binary-factory.kde.org/job/Kdenlive_Nightly_Appimage_Build/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/kdenlive-19.03.70-34672a1-x86_64.appimage
ate all my 16G RAM after loading an existing project so fast, so when I
realized, my system was already dead due to heavy swapping and I had to
hard reset it. Something I definitely don't like.

Other things I noticed before my system was killed by an video editor,
off my head as I don't intend to try another refactoring nightly before
long, as I need my system:

- critical: eating all available 16GB, going nuts, when starting
timeline preview rendering. requires system hard reset, due to heavy
swapping. at least, preview rendering itself not crashing anymore, but,
erm ... pyrrhic.

- major: frei0r.scale0tilt still missing.

- major: audio clip playback unreliable; reproducible on projects some
of the audio clips won't playback anything, despite the project is
correct and works on stable.

.major: locked/unlocked track icon indistinguishable. Can you spot the
difference easily while working on a larger project on a 20" 2560x1440
19:6 display? Yes, I can choose an annoying and distracting high
contrast color scheme. But that's bad for work. Why not use the older,
yet clearly distinguishable icons which there designed exactly for this
purpose? Is this design over function, kind of Apple video editor?

- major: I need to learn to slowly and precisely navigate in the
timeline in order to either correctly hit a transition or the clip for
setting either clip or transition properties. Or I need to constantly
resize tracks just in order to work efficiently again. The old design
allowed me a much quicker and yet precised work in the timeline. The
transition height as well as position needs some tweaking? Try that with
collapsed tracks...

- minor: timecode overlay in monitor uses non-fixed font, so it changes
width, jerking around annoyingly when playing clips or timeline.

- minor: timecode barely readable. Try to find that on a 20" 2560x1440
19:6 display.

- minor: is that a transition on the audio clip??

- minor: where can I set all tracks to "all frames" thumbnails instead
of having to check each track individually?

- minor: timeline clip context menu missing all icons.

- minor: project bin icons distorted

- minor: yet very annoying: appimage doesn't pick up the correct KDE
style as set in my session, but instead comes with its own one.