kdenlive render pipeline (was Re: smart encoding)

Mikko Rapeli mikko.rapeli at iki.fi
Fri Sep 29 09:38:10 UTC 2017

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 09:34:14AM +0200, Evert Vorster wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> There was a little trick that I was doing on a virtual machine some time
> ago, where I would set the project resolution to the proxy resolution, and
> my proxy resolution was exactly the display window resolution, so I was
> avoiding any scaling whatsoever. Editing was indeed very, very fast, even
> on a single CPU virtual machine.
> I would then set the project resolution to the desired resolution before
> doing the final render.

Can you share details how you did this? I tried to achieve the same but
failed. For now I just set the project profile to 720p25 initially and will
increase it to 1080p25 once timeline is almost ready and then setup effects
and transitions.

> The drawback of this approach is that title clips are produced at the wrong
> resolution, and pan/zoom was affected.

I suspect several effects will not like changing project profile or
resolution...

> In short, I agree, there is a lot of speed gain to be had here, which would
> open up or improve the experience of video editing for a lot more people on
> older/slower hardware.

At work I have edited a few short clips on more modern Intel i5 laptops
with Intel graphics chips and the experience on timeline was not exactly
smooth. It seems to be bound to a single CPU and only one or maybe
two threads. Maybe this is also a limitation in mlt.

But on the other hand previewing clips from project bin is fast
and glitch free, no dropped frames etc.

-Mikko