smart encoding

alcinos french.ebook.lover at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 22:14:31 UTC 2017

Hi,

So in theory that should indeed be possible but this is quite tricky to do
it properly IMHO. Firstly, the method depends on the codec of the stream.
As Evert mentionned, for a h264 stream we have to re-encode up to the next
i-frame, that could be far away. For Codec where frames all depend on the
previous one, we have to basically reencode everything. Anyways, dealing
with all the codec is a lot of work.
Besides, it requires a very low level access to the stream that we don't
have easily from kdenlive, since we rely on several layers of abstraction.

Finally, I'd be curious to know if this is actually a common usecase. It
seems a bit unlikely that someone don't want to apply any
transition/effects/reencoding at all.