How to commit a change to LiftGammaGain effect?

Jean-Baptiste Mardelle jb at kdenlive.org
Fri Sep 8 15:08:15 UTC 2017

On Friday, September 8, 2017 3:28:57 PM CEST, Dušan Hanuš wrote:
> Hello,

Hello and welcome!

> I modified the Lift Gamma Gain effect so that I can select
> negative Lift values (which for me as an editor is absolute must
> so that I don't need to use another --and slow-- effects like
> Bezier Curves etc.)

> Now if I wanted to share the commit, how do I do that? (I'm not
> very experienced developer, so please could you describe it as
> specifically as possible?)

If you downloaded the source code using git, you should be able to easily
create a patch using:

git diff > mypatch.diff

You can then send the patch on the mailing list for review, or open an
issue on phabricator.kde.org and attach the patch here (you will need to
create a kde account).

If you did not use git, I guess the easiest is to download the source code
using git in a separate directory, and after that copy the modified source
files to the git version. You can then use the "git diff" command to create
the patch.

> I imagine it must be reviewed somehow...

> And there's one more thing. This effect is actually two parts -
> a QWidget and a MLT effect which unfortunately does not handle
> negative values greatly and must be modified too.
>
> So I guess MLT is completely different project and I have to
> ask there, right?

Yes that's correct. The patch related to MLT can be sent to the mlt-devel
mailing list: https://sourceforge.net/p/mlt/mailman/

You can also post the patches to Kdenlive and MLT on this list first so
some people can test it and give you feedback.

Let us know if you need more help.

Best regards
Jean-Baptiste Mardelle