Feedback, so far.

Steve Brodie stevebrodie at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 19:13:49 UTC 2017

I would not describe myself as a professional editor, but I do edit video for my clients and also have a long background in pro audio.
My contribution would be that it would be a shame to lose the ability to have the choice between splitting the audio or not. Different projects suit different workflows and by losing the combined clip I think Kdenlive would lose some of it's distinctiveness and would be in danger of looking a pale imitation of some of the proprietary offerings.
I think '2old2care' talks a great deal of sense and I would support his comments entirely.
I can see that having video tracks which could contain audio, but may not always, could be an issue if a mixer is implemented, but could we just have an option to show or hide tracks in the mixer (this could be useful anyway-and quite a few DAWs have this type of feature)?
When I first discovered Kdenlive I was very sorry it didn't have an audio mixer but these days I wonder whether it is really necessary! There are so many ways to add effects and change levels to clips and tracks anyway! The features I really need are the ability to add effects to a master audio bus, and to audio subgroups, so I could for instance compress all my dialogue tracks with one compressor on a subgroup, and monitor LUFS loudness on the master bus. I would only need these tracks to appear in the timeline to achieve this, not necessarily in a mixer. The only other audio feature I would like would be support for LV2 plugins, so I could have loudness meters and dynamics processing with gain reduction meters.

I hope I haven't gone off topic too much there, but wanted to make a constructive contribution as I'm afraid I have no coding skills (yet) that might help you.

Finally, I thought there were a number of comments on reddit which were rather ignorant and offensive to the Kdenlive team. I quick look at the website would have amply demonstrated what has been achieved and that you clearly know what you are doing. The courteous responses, in the face of this, did the project great credit, well done!

Kind regards,

Steve