[kdenlive] kdenlive deleted /home

Jean-Baptiste Mardelle jb at kdenlive.org
Wed May 25 21:23:54 UTC 2016

On Wednesday, May 25, 2016 9:21:43 PM CEST, farid abdelnour wrote:
> i commented over at aur that it is probably this commit:
>
> https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kdenlive.git&a=commit&h=d9b73c74a0b6725d1455558d5a3cb244b7e812cf
>
> maybe jb can give us a light on this issue.

Hello Farid, all

I am absolutely sorry to hear that. I cannot exclude that Kdenlive's git
master did delete an incorrect directory.

Some code for directory deletion without safety check was active last
sunday for about 6 hours before I added a check. I had some doubts about
the code but was not at that time aware that it could delete a home
directory.

Checking now, I think it is possible that this led to deletion of a home
directory, I am really sorry if anyone experienced data loss.

I just added a double check in the code in the few places where we delete a
directory so that this cannot happen again.

I guess I should add a warning somewhere that despite doing my best, using
git master can be dangerous...

Oh I feel bad. :(