[kdenlive] Reduce mem usage while rendering

Evert Vorster evorster at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 07:53:17 UTC 2016

Hi there....

I just bought 16Gb more ram for my computer because of this bug....
It's really painful to use high resolution footage for even smallish
projects, as the memory just is not returned, even when unused clips are
removed, or the entire project is closed.
The only way to get the memory back is to completely shut down kdenlive.

Kind regards,
Evert

On 29 March 2016 at 09:45, Jean-Baptiste Mardelle <jb at kdenlive.org> wrote:

> On Sunday, March 27, 2016 11:12:32 PM CEST, Dan Dennedy wrote:
>
>> I am working on a MLT bug report: "melt eats more memory than available"
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/mlt/bugs/242/
>>
>> It is still not yet clear if this large and complex project simply
>> requires much memory, or if there is a leak. However, my suggestion to
>> alleviate the problem can be considered successful: add "autoclose=1" to
>> each MLT playlist when making the render XML. I have known about this for
>> some time, suggested it in the past to users, and recently I added it to
>> Shotcut. It is documented here [1]. The memory saving is not always
>> dramatic as this particular case, but at least it will save many people
>> from having a problem while rendering from the GUI - both of which can be
>> memory hungry. Also, it might be a good, easy improvement to add to
>> Kdenlive.
>> [1] https://www.mltframework.org/doxygen/properties.html
>>

> Thanks Dan,
> I applied this fix.
> By the way, that might not be related but in Kdenlive we use a playlist to
> hold our project clips, like you do in Shotcut with the "main bin" playlist
> and there also seems to be memory issues with clip management.
>
> Open Kdenlive, empty project. Memory usage: 92Mb
> Add a 19Gb clip to Bin. Memory usage: 520Mb
> Remove clip from Bin. Memory usage: 502Mb
>
> Memory is not freed after deleting a clip from bin.
>
> Same thing happens in Shotcut. When adding a clip to the playlist and
> deleting it, memory is not recovered.
>
> I noticed this several months ago and I think with older Kdenlive/MLT
> versions, memory was freed when deleting a clip... in case it can help with
> your investigations...
>
> regards
> jb

Evert Vorster