[kdenlive] Kdenlive transitions

Harald Albrecht harald.albrecht at gmx.net
Fri Mar 25 19:56:20 UTC 2016

Hi Kdenlivers,
I seem to remember some discussion about organizing transitions in a better way. While I don't have a presentable solution to this enigma I would like to get feedback on some early thoughts.
I always stumbled with the sheer amount of transitions and thought about some way to give this pile of transitions some order. For the benefit of better documentation and helping users get around this sheer vast of transitions.
May be a way to group Kdenlive transitions could be like this:
1. "static blending" transitions: these have no keyframable parmeters. Examples are multiply, dodge, burn, ...
2. "cross fading" transitions; again, no keyframable parameters. Examples would be dissolve, slide, wipe.
3. "dynamic compositing" transitions; these have keyframable parameters. Examples would be affine and composite.
The neat side effect is that for type 1 and 3 transitions you always need two tracks. But type 2 transitions could be done inline, that is, within a track ... something users have asked for from time to time already.
What do you think about such a first, intentionally coarse classification? Will static blending transitions in the future have their parameters keyframable too? Would this be possible after all?
Best regards, Harald