[kdenlive] Kdenlive website and brand logo?

Sam Muirhead sam at cameralibre.cc
Fri Mar 4 11:32:39 UTC 2016

Hi Harald, thanks for your input. For me the problem with the film strip is
not that it doesn't adequately represent 'moving image', of course you are
right, it is very effective for that.

My problem with it is that it doesn't come across as particularly
professional.
It is used a lot in consumer or amateur environments to very quickly get
across the idea that 'this is something for video'. But here you can see a
comparison of a few logos with more amateur-focused programs on the left and
professional programs on the right:
http://www.cameralibre.cc/wp-content/uploads/amateur-vs-pro.png

Well, personally I find both Lightworks and Final Cut's logos a bit dated,
but even so, pro software just isn't using the film strip anymore - not
because it doesn't communicate 'video' well, but because it doesn't
communicate 'pro video' very well. In the pro world, the only likely place
you will find a film strip in a logo is in software which genuinely interacts
with film (film restoration/telecine/conform etc).
You see it as well in the naming of programs. Something with 'Movie' in the
title and a film strip in the logo is targeted at consumer use.
Something with 'Video' in the title and a more abstract/less 'friendly' logo
is targeted at professionals.

You gave the example of the floppy disk. Yes, it works very well for a 'save'
icon, it's a distinctive shape and it has become part of our digital culture.
But you wouldn't use a floppy disk image as the icon for professional
enterprise-level backup software.

Regarding the 'rewind K' I'm not proposing it as a logo but rather one
metaphor which could be subtly incorporated in a design, if it fits. It
should first be seen as a K, and only on second glance, or once it is pointed
out, should you see it as a rewind symbol as well.
For me 'rewind' is a perfectly adequate symbol for a story-oriented video
editor - as opposed to a media player, where I just want to hit play, when
I'm editing a story I want to go back and forth through the material again
and again.
I hope this makes my perspective clearer!
kind regards,
Sam
----Sam Muirhead
Open Source / Video