[kdenlive] Iwan's first website design proposal

Harald Albrecht harald.albrecht at gmx.net
Thu Jan 28 16:29:26 UTC 2016

Just my .02 euros and solely highly subjective impression:

- My impression from other discussions so far is that Kdenlive wants to
address both newcomers with less demanding projects as well as semipro
or even professional users. I would suspect that a clean, sleek look
will attract all these groups in a similar way.

- My impression is that too much of "tool-smitten" screenshots with all
kind of advanced meter and instruments stuff may actually drive off
newcomers. "Woah! This even looks complicated, it must be complicated.
All those fance meters!" Not overstressing the (semi) pro tone will make
the Kdenlive website more inviting.

- On the other hand, a clean design will please probably all groups to
at least some extend. Personally, I would consider "clean" to be not
hammering on worn-out metaphors, such as the film or slide metaphor. For
the icon and file type it's fine and fitting. But building navigation
around a film strip metaphor and repeating it in other places as well
just drives me off. It makes reading difficult and I don't see any
reason to blur text by underlying graphics. Also text-shadow effects
have had their time. Let them rest in peace and those place they really
fit in well.

Alas, just my personal opinion. To be taken with a lot of grain, but not
necessarily too much salt.

-- Harald