[kdenlive] Iwan's first website design proposal

Brian Cluff kdenlive at macrosift.com
Thu Jan 28 03:28:38 UTC 2016

> To be blunt: not in a design I work on.

Got it... this is your baby and you aren't actually looking for input
from others...

> I can only recommend to abandon the practice of using images with
> text built-in in general,

If I were to implement that header like that in a design the vast
majority of the text would NOT be baked in.  I had only envisioned the
word KDENLIVE as being baked into the design, and not even that has to be.

The header I did was literally something I spent 10 minutes on.  It was
only meant to get imaginations flowing.  I was not suggesting that you
stick it, as is, on the top of your design, or any design.

> using images as headers because they are obnoxious and distracting. I
> also advise against collages as they look unprofessional.

It depends on what you are doing.  Most other types of creative software
such as blender, inkscape, gimp, etc etc can put the programs final
output in the header of their website, which they all do.  It's not
distracting at all.  In the case of kdenlive, what you are really
showing off is the interface since there is no immediate way to show off
the functionality.  A perfectly reasonable way of showing off
interesting bits of a potentially complex interface is to do it with a
collage.  The idea of a website for a piece of software is to grab the
visitors attention immediately so that they will actually stick around
and look at what you have to say.  I would argue that having a boring
header followed by a GIANT screenshot that you have to scroll past just
to get to any real content is unprofessional and distracting.

You're better off catching the visitor's attention with a nice header,
and then putting the screenshot(s) on the about page (smaller versions
that go to full size when you click on them).

Brian Cluff