[kdenlive] [GSOC] Porting to Windows, need help with projetc details

Steve Guilford s.guilford at asterionmultimedia.com
Sun Mar 22 15:31:09 UTC 2015

That's ambitious !!!

Bear in mind that you'll be working w/ a KF5 version of the code by that
time most likely.

I wouldn't know what to put in the proposal as far as details - never
written one for GSOC.

As far as dependencies, there's only so much research you can do until
you get to step 2 in your process.  I would have to figure that there's
already some write-ups on the process of converting Qt/KF5 - or at least
details on converting older Qt/KDE4 apps.

I don't know if there's a specific 'test suite' for Kdenlive.  That
might be useful.  I think most of the issues borne out in testing will
be confined to the intersection of Windows and Qt/KF5 and the
idiosyncrasies of Windows in general.

In summary, an appropriate way forward is to search the Net for
instances of others that have converted Linux/Qt/KDE based apps and see
what they have to say.

On 03/21/2015 05:06 PM, Klemen Ferjančič wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am applying to GSOC project to port Kdenlive to Windows. I have
> already written a general proposal and have a good idea in my mind on
> how to do it but I need to flesh it out further in more details.
>
> My approach to the problem would be the following:
>
> 1. Solve all CMake dependencies and generate a working Visual Studio
> solution
>
> 2. Build Kdenlive, solving any compiler or linker errors along the way
>
> 3. Test all the basic functionality of the program to find any bugs or
> regressions which do not appear in existing Linux builds
>
> 4. Add a Windows target to Jenkins CI environment, either on existing
> KDE infrastructure or using an external CI service
>
> 5. Create an installer for easier distribution to Windows users
>

> I need to know what kind of details I should tell about in my
> proposal. Should I research all the dependencies which need to be
> solved? Specify exactly which tests I will carry out after successful
> build? It is impossible to know what kind of problems could appear at
> compiling and linking so I'm not sure what to write on that. I am also
> not sure what exactly I should explain in regard to CI and installer
> since that's pretty much standardized stuff.
>
> Please navigate me in the right direction. All the feedback is greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Best regards, Klemen

Steve Guilford
Founder/CTO