[kdenlive] [GSOC] Porting to Windows, need help with projetc details

Klemen Ferjančič imbacen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 00:06:27 UTC 2015

Hi

I am applying to GSOC project to port Kdenlive to Windows. I have
already written a general proposal and have a good idea in my mind on
how to do it but I need to flesh it out further in more details.

My approach to the problem would be the following:

1. Solve all CMake dependencies and generate a working Visual Studio
solution

2. Build Kdenlive, solving any compiler or linker errors along the way

3. Test all the basic functionality of the program to find any bugs or
regressions which do not appear in existing Linux builds

4. Add a Windows target to Jenkins CI environment, either on existing
KDE infrastructure or using an external CI service

5. Create an installer for easier distribution to Windows users

I need to know what kind of details I should tell about in my proposal.
Should I research all the dependencies which need to be solved? Specify
exactly which tests I will carry out after successful build? It is
impossible to know what kind of problems could appear at compiling and
linking so I'm not sure what to write on that. I am also not sure what
exactly I should explain in regard to CI and installer since that's
pretty much standardized stuff.

Please navigate me in the right direction. All the feedback is greatly
appreciated.

Best regards, Klemen