[kdenlive] Positioning cursor is slow on high resolution videos

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Fri Jan 23 20:23:11 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 6:30 AM, Pascal Fleury <fleury at users.sourceforge.net
> wrote:

> Hey Nicolas,
>
> That's interesting, because I thought this was fixed in that version. At
> least I think I am using the same version (not at home at the moment).
> I also have 1080p material, and had faced the issue I described earlier.
> Maybe someone else on the list has an idea ?
>
> --paf
>

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 3:00 PM, Nicolas Göddel <
> mailinglists at freakscorner.de> wrote:
>
>>  Hi Pascal,
>>
>> I am using this repository:
>>
>> # from here: https://launchpad.net/~sunab/+archive/ubuntu/kdenlive-svn
>> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/sunab/kdenlive-svn/ubuntu trusty main
>>
>> That means I am using Version 0.9.10 at the moment.
>>
>> Am 22.01.2015 um 14:46 schrieb Pascal Fleury:
>>
>> Don't know about the frame access...
>>
>> For the rendering with proxy clips, there used to be a bug, but that had
>> been fixed.
>> Which version are you using ?
>>
>> Note that if you have proxy clips on, and you apply image stabilization,
>> it will use the proxy clips as source material, and then you are stuck with
>> them.
>> The trick is to remove proxy clips before computing stab, then switch
>> them on for the stabilized version.
>>
>> --paf
>> Le 22 janv. 2015 14:19, "Nicolas Göddel" <mailinglists at freakscorner.de>
>> a écrit :
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am working with kdenlive since May 2014 and I have one big problem
>>> with it.
>>> Normally I am working with 1080p videos. When I load a 6 minute video
>>> into a new
>>> project and set the cursor at a position in the video the program
>>> freezes some
>>> seconds until it has found the correct image for the selected frame.
>>> This is
>>> very annoying while cutting down a video to 30 seconds because I have to
>>> set the
>>> cursor to new positions very often before hitting CTRL+R. But everytime
>>> I set
>>> the cursoe I have to wait one oder two seconds. For example VLC has no
>>> problems
>>> with accessing a certain frame in a video. It needs only some hundreds
>>> milliseconds to switch to a random position. It would be nice if
>>> kdenlive could
>>> be also a bit faster.
>>>
>>> Alternatively it would also be nice to eliminate the freeze after
>>> setting the
>>> cursor. Sometimes I accidentally set the cursor to the wrong frame and
>>> have to
>>> wait until kdenlive has loaded this frame into the project monitor
>>> before I can
>>> set the cursor to the correct frame. Maybe it would be a good idea to
>>> put the
>>> like this.
>>>
>>> Actually I always use proxy clips because they are faster but I think my
> [...]
I have not been keeping up with Kdenlive lately, but is there a Setting now
to choose the image scaling interpolation mode for playback in the monitor?
If so and that is set to something other than nearest neighbor then it will
make the seeking more accurate and slower. VLC does not provide a good
comparison because it does not perform frame accurate seeking.

--
+-DRD-+