[kdenlive] Positioning cursor is slow on high resolution videos

jb jb at kdenlive.org
Fri Jan 23 16:27:20 UTC 2015

Hello,

> I am working with kdenlive since May 2014 and I have one big problem with
> it. Normally I am working with 1080p videos. When I load a 6 minute video
> into a new project and set the cursor at a position in the video the
> program freezes some seconds until it has found the correct image for the
> selected frame. This is very annoying while cutting down a video to 30
> seconds because I have to set the cursor to new positions very often before
> hitting CTRL+R. But everytime I set the cursoe I have to wait one oder two
> seconds. For example VLC has no problems with accessing a certain frame in
> a video. It needs only some hundreds milliseconds to switch to a random
> position. It would be nice if kdenlive could be also a bit faster.

Can you give us the specs of your computer (RAM, processor) ?
Also, what are the specs of your video clips?
You can get that from the following command in a terminal:
avconv -i myclip.mp4    (replace avconv with ffmpeg if using FFmpeg).

The best option would be to send me a link to a sample video clip so I can
test it on my system.

> Actually I always use proxy clips because they are faster but I think my
> hardware should have no problem with 1080p videos. And with proxy clips
> there is an other problem. If I render the video the renderer always uses
> the proxy clips instead of the original ones although I have not selected
> rendering with proxy clips...

Yes, I was never able to reproduce that proxy rendering bug.. Anyways we are
in the middle of a big rewrite of Kdenlive and I hope to solve that issue with
the next release (but you'll have to wait a few more months for this...)

regards
jb