[kdenlive] Subject: Re: Kinetic Typography

Jean-Baptiste Mardelle jb at kdenlive.org
Mon Jan 5 11:38:02 UTC 2015

Hi,

> > The proposal is to change it to "something based on an HTML overlay, like
> > webvfx "
>
> That's good.
> How can I contribute as a developer?

I will setup a page on the wiki with the current state and infos on webvfx. You must be aware that currently CSS3 animations are not supported
because there is no seeking api. Pure CSS3 does not provide a way to seek to a precise frame in the timeline, so it does not work properly
(it is not a problem with webvfx but a limitation of CSS3).

There seems to be several javascript libraries trying to achieve a timeline feature for CSS3, but not sure if it works. This probably needs some testing with MLT.
However, you can use javascript, HTML5 and non animated CSS to create animations. As I said, I will document it further soon on the wiki.

Also, if you want to get involved in development, you should run the latest git version of Kdenlive.
I don't know if you are aware of it but we are currently doing some major code cleanup as well as a port to Qt/KF5.

The new code is in the frameworks branch but to compile it you need a working KDE Frameworks 5 install which is
not that easy to install manually unless you find a distro that ships it like Kubuntu 15.04 alpha.

You might want to make some tests in the master branch which runs on Qt/KDE4 as a starting point.
Then, you can post your patches on the mailing list or on reviewboard.kde.org.

At some later point, we can give you commit access to the git repo if you start contributing on a regular basis.

Feel free to ask if you have other questions.

Regards
jb