[kdenlive] building Kdenlive/KF5

Roger Morton ttguy1 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 07:55:52 UTC 2015

> Hello Roger,
>
> To compile Kdenlive/frameworks branch, you need a working install of KDE's
> latest release: KDE Frameworks 5 (KF5).

So will a future KF5 version of Kdenlive require a working  install of KF5
to RUN
Because this would not work for me because I like the long term support
idea in the 14.04 LTS

> Installing this latest KDE release on 14.04 Ubuntu is probably not an easy
> task. Making it work on Ubuntu 14.10 is also complicated because the KF5
> packages are in external repositories and not really updated.
>
> I am using a 15.04 beta version of Kubuntu that provides all the Qt/KDE
> packages required to build Kdenlive, I think it is the easiest way to test
> Kdenlive/frameworks branch. But that also means you cannot easily go back to
> KDE4.
>
> Maybe a virtual machine would be easier (installing Ubuntu 15.04 in a
> virtualbox container) if you just want to test Kdenlive/KF5?

I guess I could instal a 15.04 VM if I want to continue my short kdenlive
developer career. I do have visualization software running.