[kdenlive] Lokalize app with the new repo?

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Fri Aug 28 13:07:06 UTC 2015

Fri, 28 Aug 2015 15:33:07 +0300 було написано Harvey Drant
<linuxkurd at india.com>:

> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to translate KDEnlive. I cannot find kdenlive when I follow
> this guide:
>
> https://kdenlive.org/contribution-manual/how-translate-kdenlive
>
> (also it lists the wrong mailing list on there)
>
> yurchor has been helping me out though, and told me this:
>
>> Because Kdenlive is KF5-based application now. So it is in l10n-kf5
>> folderon KDE server. l10n-kde4 should be changed into l10n-kf5 in the
>> Lokalizerepo address.

Hi,

Actually, this is Lokalize problem (temporarily, because at last
everything should migrate to KF5).

Please use the following command to obtain the templates:

svn co svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/l10n-kf5/templates

and locale:

svn co svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/l10n-kf5/<your_locale>

Then configure Lokalize project accordingly:

https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kdesdk/lokalize/project-view.html

> By copying the en_GB locale files on my system and using msgunfmt, I've
> been able to open the files and change most of the things (kdelibs4.mo
> and kdenlive.mo), however I don't know all of the files KDEnlive uses.
>
> Can someone tell me how to find this list or provide it to me?

 From command line:

strace kdenlive | grep locale

> For instance, I want to change the default track names where it says
> "Video 1" "Video 2" ... "Audio 1" ...

There are messages like "Video %1" or "Audio %1" in the catalog. %<number>
are placeholders. They will be replaced with number at the runtime. Please
translate them leaving "%1" part intact. Example: "Lalala %1"

> Lastly if I use the KDE platform, can I also submit to the Ubuntu
> translation project or will this cause a conflict?

Sure. Why not?

> Do I have to wait for the next Linux release that the translation can be
> used? Or is there someway to get it pushed to the new Ubuntu without
> waiting for 6 months or so? Will updated KDEnlive packages include the
> new translations too?

KDE releases Applications every 4 months. Ubuntu releases every 6 months.
So if you commit your translations into the repo now, it will appear in
Kdenlive 15.12 release (part of many Linux distributions) and in Ubuntu
16.04 (with backports to 15.10).

Best regards,
Yuri