[Kdenlive-devel] Fwd: max_analyze_duration reached

Pascal Fleury fleury at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Sep 22 17:06:20 UTC 2014

Hi Vincent,

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 10:27 AM, Vincent PINON <vincent.pinon at st.com>
wrote:

> Le 09/22/2014 03:30 AM, Dan Dennedy a écrit :
> > On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 5:30 PM, Pascal Fleury
> > <fleury at users.sourceforge.net <mailto:fleury at users.sourceforge.net>>
> > wrote:
> >
> >     Hello,
> >
> Hello Pascal,
> >

> >     I am completely stuck, any help welcome...
> >
> >     I am about to finish a video project, where I use pretty long
> >     files (several 1080p at 25 13 minute chunks, audio @ 96kHz stereo 32
> >     bit float for 1.5 hours) and it seemed to work nicely so far. I
> >     used proxy clips all along, as working off the original video is
> >     just not possible.
> >

> > I never use proxy clips, almost always source clips, and very
> > occasionally transcode problematic clips.
> >

> >     Now I try to render the project, and I face many issues: first,
> >     when rendering the project with proxy clips set on the clips (the
> >     little 'P'), it does not use the full resolution for the final
> >     render. I think this is a known issue (ignores the little checkbox
> >     in the render dialog).
> >
> No, this is not an issue I have faced already (for more than 2 years).
> Which version of Kdenlive (&MLT) are you using ?

I am using kdenlive v0.9.8 on ubuntu, from this PPA
http://ppa.launchpad.net/sunab/kdenlive-release/ubuntu/
mlt v 0.9.0
frei0r-plugins 1.4.0 (probably irrelevant)

> >     My real issue is that if I remove the proxy clips, then it tries
> >     to re-render the thumbnails on the time line, and gets them all
> >     wrong. The files are correct, but it does not display the right
> >     images (takes some others), and renders full black video.
> >
> Stupid question (but sometimes we need to open eyes when in panic ;-)
> )... if source media are not on the same drive as project & proxies, is
> that drive properly plugged & mounted ?

All the files are on the same SATA 3TB drive, on ext4 :-)

> >     After saving and reloading, it's even worse, as I face the issue
> >     with lots of lines like in the title (more, see below). And after
> >     this, _all_ clips on the timeline are zero length, completely
> >     ruining my project. I use git for all text files, and did regular
> >     checkpoints, so I have not lost much besides time, and rollbacks
> >     are easy.
> >

> > Sounds like "remove the proxy clips" is not a safe operation.
> Also never seen problems switching proxies on and off (but I don't use
> thumbnails, except for testing)...

As I told Dan, I wonder if this is related to the tool not being able to
analyze the length of a file, then defaulting to 0, then modifying the
clips on the timeline as a result of the length being 0.

> >     So essentially, I am stuck with a project I cannot render after 60
> >     hours of editing time... Any help ? Anything I
> >

> > I think you need a workaround for that problem with the checkbox being
> > ignored, but I do not know anything about the proxy mode in Kdenlive.
> > Maybe there is a way to modify the xml and render it with melt.
> 1) enable debug output (run "kdebugdialog" and check kdenlive)?
> 2) in render dialog, generate scripts.
> for huge projects like yours, kdenlive eats much RAM, and melt will need
> also much for full res rendering.
> so closing kdenlive and rendering by launching the *.sh helps in general
> (but your problems are unrelated, this is a side remark).
> with scripts you get plain *.mlt files that the ones actually
> transmitted to melt for rendering (ie, replacing proxies etc.)
> so these are the files you can analyze to better understand your
> rendering problem: try to diff *.mlt checking and unchecking the "use
> proxy" option: of course the source media are changing, but all lengths
> and playlists should remain the same...

I will try the mlt script approach. but I don't think RAM is an issue. I
have rendered some shorter videos at the same resolution, using different
outputs (usually 1080p at 25) using 2-pass without issues.

> >     could do to get a final video from my project ? Or is this
> >     max_analyze_duration from an underlying tool that I could
> >     downgrade/upgrade ?
> >
> > I can definitely tell you that the message "max_analyze_duration
> > reached" comes from libavformat. It appears very frequently in many
> > tools (too verbose), is related to determining the duration of a clip,
> > and is not likely related to your problem.
> yes, max_analyze_duration is coming all the time.
> >

> >     Also, I faced numerous issues with this project, mostly due to the
> >     size of data and project I think, and I should probably do a write
> >     up. Where would be a good avenue for this ? This list ?
> >
> Bug tracker...

Ok, will file some more bugs (I filed a few in the past).
The write up will also mention things like audio getting out of sync, or
being shifted in the rendered movie and not in the editor. and with the
latest version (0.9.8), I notices very surprising things, like the play
rate of audio only tracks to change with time. Like in th egood old LP
times when you move the selector from 45 to 33rpm...

> >     Thanks,
> >     Pascal
> >
> Hope we can find the solution for your problem...

I'm comfortable compiling from source and running that. What is the current
branch I should use ?