[Kdenlive-devel] Fwd: max_analyze_duration reached

Pascal Fleury fleury at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Sep 22 17:05:43 UTC 2014

Hi Dan,

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 3:30 AM, Dan Dennedy <dan at dennedy.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 5:30 PM, Pascal Fleury <
> fleury at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am completely stuck, any help welcome...
>>
>> I am about to finish a video project, where I use pretty long files
>> (several 1080p at 25 13 minute chunks, audio @ 96kHz stereo 32 bit float
>> for 1.5 hours) and it seemed to work nicely so far. I used proxy clips all
>> along, as working off the original video is just not possible.
>>

> I never use proxy clips, almost always source clips, and very occasionally
> transcode problematic clips.

On my machine, navigating through original clips is way too slow. Also I
have 4 video tracks, with mostly 2 tracks having a video at any given time.
Proxy clips are actually making the whole thing very usable, if not really
comfortable.

>> Now I try to render the project, and I face many issues: first, when
>> rendering the project with proxy clips set on the clips (the little 'P'),
>> it does not use the full resolution for the final render. I think this is a
>> known issue (ignores the little checkbox in the render dialog).
>>
>> My real issue is that if I remove the proxy clips, then it tries to
>> re-render the thumbnails on the time line, and gets them all wrong. The
>> files are correct, but it does not display the right images (takes some
>> others), and renders full black video.
>>
>> After saving and reloading, it's even worse, as I face the issue with
>> lots of lines like in the title (more, see below). And after this, _all_
>> clips on the timeline are zero length, completely ruining my project. I use
>> git for all text files, and did regular checkpoints, so I have not lost
>> much besides time, and rollbacks are easy.
>>

> Sounds like "remove the proxy clips" is not a safe operation.

I think it tries to get the original clip length, and from the error
 message, seems to not get a useful answer. If it returns a length of zero
(or negative) in case it reaches the maximum analysis length, then it would
explain why my clips get all shrunk on the timeline.

>> So essentially, I am stuck with a project I cannot render after 60 hours
>> of editing time... Any help ? Anything I
>>

> I think you need a workaround for that problem with the checkbox being
> ignored, but I do not know anything about the proxy mode in Kdenlive. Maybe
> there is a way to modify the xml and render it with melt.

I will fiddle a bit more with that checkbox, as I think I had other issues
with sub-projects that I imported.

>> could do to get a final video from my project ? Or is this
>> max_analyze_duration from an underlying tool that I could downgrade/upgrade
>> ?
>>
>> I can definitely tell you that the message "max_analyze_duration
> reached" comes from libavformat. It appears very frequently in many tools
> (too verbose), is related to determining the duration of a clip, and is not
> likely related to your problem.

As I mentioned above, does libavformat then return a size of e.g. 0 if it
could not analyze it fully ?
Is there a cmdline tool that I could run on these WAV and video files to
see the failure mode ?