[Kdenlive-devel] movit in kdenlive build script

Steinar H. Gunderson sgunderson at bigfoot.com
Sat Mar 15 16:49:39 UTC 2014

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 09:40:46AM -0700, Brian Matherly wrote:
> Sorry, I was off by a digit. I should have said that my laptop suports 3.1
> but Shotcut requires 3.2 to use movit filters.

I don't know offhand what this requirement is for. Maybe GL_ARB_sync (I added
a dependency on this to MLT at some point, but it would be relatively easy to
add back the glFinish() fallback if somehow there are important cards that
don't support this), but you don't need the rest of 3.2 for that. In any
case, I'm running Kdenlive with Movit just fine with my 5th gen Intel
(OpenGL 2.1 + extensions), so I don't think you have to worry about this for
Kdenlive.

Have you tried the current git?

> As far as my own use cases, I have a capture rig in another room with a
> sempron processor that I use for capturing from VCRs. I keep the whole rig
> in another room so that I don't clutter up my office with multiple VCRs and
> other equipment. That's a fairly old machine (approaching the 10 year
> range), but it is perfectly suited for capturing DV with KDENLIVE. And I
> would be disappointed if one day I upgraded KDENLIVE and it stopped
> working.

Well, notwithstanding that it might work just fine with your card anyway,
I'm not sure if there should be a perpetual “right to upgrade”. Software has
increasing system demands all the time, as they add more features. As an
extreme example, you can't run Linux on 386 anymore :-)

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/