[Kdenlive-devel] switching git master (again)

Vincent PINON vincent.pinon at st.com
Wed Jul 2 10:47:45 UTC 2014

Le 07/02/2014 11:46 AM, Martin Sandsmark a écrit :
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 02:40:49AM +0200, Vincent Pinon wrote:
>> (my GPU support for OpenGL 3.1 is buggy, and so many changes occured that I
>> couldn't follow)...
> What GPU do you have, and what drivers are you using?
>
> Or better yet; could you hop on IRC (#kdenlive on freenode, for example), and
> I might be able to help you.
I'm travelling with an Atom N570 Netbook => GMA3150 using i915 driver.
This driver DRI was crashing with any OpenGL demo (Qt or not),
until I pulled the 2.99.912 from experimental (debian) (which seems to
get Gallium-based).

I could then start Kdenlive + Movit (+ other commits) once, it crashed
quickly on something else...

Since a few days later (movit+mlt upgrade?), when I try again I get the
message that Movit fails to initialize (glxinfo tells me I'm only with
OpenGL 2.1)...

I've also tested on my wife's laptop (radeon ?? + intel HD4000) without
success
>> And please from now on work in branches as long as your code is not usable by
>> testers. Test it a bit on your side, and also on a 2nd PC or by someone else
>> before merging?
> If you're talking about the movit integration, it was tested by at least two
> different people (Steinar and myself), and I know that he has been testing
> movit on several different configurations while developing.
Right, the patch you applied with Steinar seemed to be OK, and small
enough to get retuned.

Many little things were broken by switch to OpenGL, like titler,
overlays, thumbs in several cases...
JBM & Till worked on it and made many changes for a while (also
unrelated to GL!),
but they left the codebase in an unstable state (as many testers report
in the tracker).
I don't blame anyone, I know what's life, free time and motivation
fluctuations!

I've been trying run this development version at several stages in the
dev process;
recently tried some git-bissect, but abandoned tired of long compile
time for deceiving results at every shot.

As I am trying to solve users issues on the stable version, I think it
is preferable for them to have the build scripts reaching this code than
the currently abandoned one (hope JBM and Till will come back soon to
work on it!).

I will try to quickly make Movit available again, but in a less
intrusive way...
à la Shotcut : only in the GL monitor! then all the rest of the code
isn't impacted
(no need for GL context: not very useful for all the thumbnails stuff
etc I think)
and we can continue to support weaker hardware with other monitors.

Do you think we should retain from switching git branch?
Admins are working on it, so we should react quickly!