[Kdenlive-devel] Rendering interlaced video to HuffYUV

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Fri Jan 25 17:04:35 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 6:17 AM, Steven Boswell II <ulatekh at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I'm getting the same problem with HuffYUV rendering -- my interlaced
>>> video
>>> ends up progressive.
>>> To be fair, "ffmpeg -i input.yuv -vcodec huffyuv output.avi" also loses
>>> my
>>> interlaced flag (at least according to "ffmpeg -i output.avi -vcodec
>>> rawvideo -f yuv4mpegpipe - | head -1").
>>> I don't suppose this would be another quick, easy fix...?
>>
>>I looked into it a bit, and I am not sure what is going on.
>>[...]
>
>>If you can figure out
>>ffmpeg command lines that show how to output interlaced huffyuv and
>>verify it (preferably with ffprobe and not mediainfo's magic), that
>>would help. Otherwise, I have something big I am working on for MLT at
>>the moment and cannot give this much attention at this time.
>
> I understand.  Thanks for looking so deeply into this!  At least you
> verified that it's not an mlt/kdenlive bug.
> I'll let you know if I can get any better results out of ffmpeg.
>
> One thing I noticed in kdenlive is the "Advanced" tab in the "Properties"
> window of the imported clips.  It says I can override various properties,
> and I tried to turn off the "progressive" flag on my imported HuffYUV clips,
> but it didn't seem to take.  However, if I hand-edit the .kdenlive file, and
> change >>progressive="1"<< to >>progressive="0" top_field_first="0"<<, then
> reload it in kdenlive, the Properties window now says that the clip is
> interlaced.  Is this a valid workaround?  And should the Properties window

Perhaps not because there is a MLT portion of the XML document (the
majority) and a kdenlive part. It is not using XML namespaces, but
everything <kdenlivedoc> and below belongs to kdenlive. MLT's
properties to override those things begin their name with a "force_":

http://www.mltframework.org/bin/view/MLT/ProducerAvformat#force_progressive

> have let me do this without hand-editing the file?

Yes, I noticed some quirkiness here as well. It seems I have to visit
the dialog twice for it to take effect.

--
+-DRD-+