[Kdenlive-devel] Rendering interlaced video to HuffYUV

Steven Boswell II ulatekh at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 25 14:17:02 UTC 2013

>> I'm getting the same problem with HuffYUV rendering -- my interlaced video

>> ends up progressive.
>> To be fair, "ffmpeg -i input.yuv -vcodec huffyuv output.avi" also loses my
>> interlaced flag (at least according to "ffmpeg -i output.avi -vcodec
>> rawvideo -f yuv4mpegpipe - | head -1").
>> I don't suppose this would be another quick, easy fix...?
>
>I looked into it a bit, and I am not sure what is going on.
>[...]
>If you can figure out
>ffmpeg command lines that show how to output interlaced huffyuv and
>verify it (preferably with ffprobe and not mediainfo's magic), that
>would help. Otherwise, I have something big I am working on for MLT at
>the moment and cannot give this much attention at this time.

I understand.  Thanks for looking so deeply into this!  At least you verified that it's not an mlt/kdenlive bug.
I'll let you know if I can get any better results out of ffmpeg.

One thing I noticed in kdenlive is the "Advanced" tab in the "Properties" window of the imported clips.  It says I can override various properties, and I tried to turn off the "progressive" flag on my imported HuffYUV clips, but it didn't seem to take.  However, if I hand-edit the .kdenlive file, and change >>progressive="1"<< to >>progressive="0" top_field_first="0"<<, then reload it in kdenlive, the Properties window now says that the clip is interlaced.  Is this a valid workaround?  And should the Properties window have let me do this without hand-editing the file?

Thanks for your help with this.  I hope to edit a lot of video with kdenlive.

Steven Boswell