[Kdenlive-devel] Breaking news

Simon A. Eugster simon.eu at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 14:15:16 UTC 2013

Hi Vincent,

thanks for contacting jbm and for all your thoughts.

Briefly to my situation. I have been working on my Master's Thesis until
mid October and currently enjoy some weeks without programming until I
start working and receiving money (instead of spending it aka studying).

I have never been a core developer, but I'm happy to port my tools to
the refactored Kdenlive once it is ready. We have already discussed this
around a year ago and I did not change my mind since :)

On 05.12.2013 12:28, Vincent PINON wrote:
> My conclusion is that we should stop holding our breath. We wouldn't
> interfere and he would actually appreciate if people take responsibilities.
> The plans I see:
> 1) put master back in good shape, restoring v0.9.6+, and moving back
> refactoring effort into its branch.
> who: Jean-Noël, Laurent, Vincent (me)
> when: ~2 weeks
> 2) apply to this master all the quality tools (coverity, cppcheck &
> all), and sort out the fixable bug report from mantis.
> who: Mikko, Vincent, Granjow?, EdRog?
> when: ~2 month

I can help with Coverity and Co. Regarding bug reports, many of them
should become obsolete with the refactoring branch, perhaps we should
only consider new ones. Testing is a lot of work too, and I would not
spend too much effort in testing old bugs.

> 3) communicate on website, terminate the forums move. What about pushing
> integration on KDE infra? (tracker, web...)
> who: volunteers for com (news, doc, tuto, forums)? +technical help from
> KDE fellows
> when: when new stuff available ;-)

TBH I like mantis and find bugzilla slow and lacking overview. Regarding
usability, a big NO from my side. On the other hand, Mantis currently
requires an own login. 1:1.

Currently, we have at least
* Web + Blog posts
* Kdenlive services
* Mantis
on kdenlive.org. As long as switching to KDE’s infrastructure means less
maintenance for us (err … you), I vote for it. But finally it is jb’s
decision.

> 4) integrate new features: GPU powered monitor & effects, webvfx
> titler/synfig bridge, Qt5 port, whatever motivates you to code ;-)
> who: JBM? Granjow? Newcomers?
> when: 2014 to 2050 ;-)

We'll see :) Requirement driven in my case.

> 5) progressively integrate new design, for example moving first the
> effect stack, then the project manager, then the timeline (random
> sorting, I haven't studied the topic). The mix during the transition
> might be ugly, but I think it is better to keep all the functionality
> all along the process?
> who: Till (payd for another "summer of code")?, JBM? (Vincent?)
> when: 2014 summer to 2015

Eventually we should plan a GSoC!
As mentioned, I intend to port the scopes and audio alignment here.

> (I put the names I noticed just as suggestion, of course everyone is free)
>
> If we manage to gather a small active team, it might be good to meet
> sometimes, by IRC, phone/video, and even aKademy?

+1. IRC is dying everywhere except for the very large channels, and
having someone online 24/7 is an illusion. Meeting times (like bi-weekly
or monthly depending on the activity) sounds like a plan.

Simon