[Kdenlive-devel] [Mlt-devel] function of consumers "refresh" property

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Mon Sep 10 16:17:01 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 7:14 AM, Ed Rogalsky <ed.rogalsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dev,
>
> I'm just wondering what is the function of the consumers "refresh"
> property. I tried really to understand this whithout success ;-((

Good question. Some of display consumers (sdl) just keep running
asking for new frames even when paused (they will get the same frame
from the producer when paused). Obviously, that is not optimal for
performance, so some other consumers (sdl_preview and sdl_audio) can
suspend themselves when they detect the producer has been pauses.
However, when you change the speed back to something other than 0 or
when you seek, you need to "wake up" the consumer to have it request a
new frame. The refresh property is that wake-up call. It is something
like a trigger event and perhaps would be better implemented as an
event, but a long time ago, a property was chosen.

--
+-DRD-+