[Kdenlive-devel] Need to debug 0.9 problems

Simon A. Eugster simon.eu at gmail.com
Fri May 18 06:22:37 UTC 2012

On 18.05.2012 01:40, Doran L. Barton wrote:
> I've installed 0.9 from git and have been playing with it. So far, it's been
> exciting to see some of the new features, but I've run into some problems
> trying to work on a project I created with a prior build.
>
> I'm getting a crash with "Application: Kdenlive (kdenlive), signal: Floating
> point exception" when I do various tasks like select a video clip in the
> timeline or try to add a Pan/Zoom effect to another clip.
>
> I looked at the developer wiki to see what I need to do to debug this. The
> KdenliveBuilder wiki page seems like it would be helpful, but the
> kdelive_builder.sh tool is quite out of date (pulls from SVN, my gosh) and
> does not work.
>
> It's been several years since I've done any C or C++ development. I know I
> need to use gdb to step through the app, but I need to enable debugging
> symbols and I don't remember how to do that.

I'm debugging with QtCreator (open the CMakeLists.txt in the kdenlive
folder, compile and run in debug mode); uses gdb too, but has a way
better interface.
KDevelop should do the job too.
The CMake argument -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=debug tells CMake to use debug
flags (-g). Sometimes it is necessary to also use -O0 manually since
stuff gets optimized away and variable values are not visible anymore.

Simon