[Kdenlive-devel] copy/paste

Simon A. Eugster simon.eu at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 20:51:14 UTC 2012

On 15.06.2012 19:39, Vincent PINON wrote:
> [life] I convinced my wife (videast) to switch to kdenlive more than one
> year back [/life]
> up to now she has edited only rather short movies (~5-10mn), and never
> missed anything without finding an acceptable workaround.
> But for few weeks she started working on a longer, complex documentary,
> with many sequences to mix, searching for constructions that make the
> more sense, rythm etc.
>  From her previous habits, she splitted her work into chapters and
> sequences, but after some trials she finds that some parts would
> eventually be really relevant *mixed* with others. So it would be
> beneficial to keep some constructions, grouped elements etc, but with

Clear so far.

> total freedom to merge and interleave with other pre-assembled shots.

Other pre-assembled shots. What are those? An extract of the whole
timeline (maybe excluding sound)? Just one video?

> For now she accepts to restart from a copy of the longest basis and redo
> the work for the new imported parts, but she wouldn't recommend this
> process to colleagues that would be interested by this free alternative
> (without great motivations and convictions)...

ewww ... jep.

> That's why I am interested to work on what I feel is missing, as from my
> local point of view it would be greatly beneficial for the project, and
> I believe I could handle it (with some some wise advice from time to
> time ;-))

The reason why I'm not convinced yet is Copy/Paste. You update the
original, you have to adjust the copy (copIES) too. That I find totally
unnecessary work which I want to avoid as far as possible.
So I hope we can find a better method that ideally could also be used
for different use cases :)

Simon