[Kdenlive-devel] Kdenlive Kickstarter

Till Theato root at ttill.de
Sun Feb 5 22:32:34 UTC 2012

On 02/04/2012 05:59 PM, derrick parkhurst wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm the founder of a small video production and video product
> startup ( http://theopushq.com) and we have used kdenlive and MLT
> extensively for client work over the last couple years. I want to
> thank everyone who has contributed to the project because it has
> been enormously valuable for the survival of our business. I lead
> our in-house software development efforts and so I follow this
> email list.
>
> I want to encourage you to launch a kickstarter (or indiegogo)
> campaign to help further fund development efforts. Of course, my
> encouragement is in part motivated by self interest. We would love
> to have a more powerful editing tool for our own use, but we
> believe that there should be a free and open source alternatives
> available to the public. That availability will also empower and
> increase the number of people creating quality video. Our team is
> passionate about open source and Linux as well as online video.
>
> I know that we, as I suspect many people and companies, would be
> willing to contribute money to a kdenlive campaign. We have some
> experience with these campaigns. I run our local coworking facility
> and we just completed a successful Indiegogo campaign
> (http://indiegogo.com/okccoco). It's actually not as hard or time
> consuming as you might think. We spend just one week campaigning,
> and raised almost $30k. Moreover the tax implications (in the US)
> aren't all that troublesome, so long as you can show that you used
> the funds for legitimate business expenses (e.g., software
> developer salary).
>
> Please let me extend my help in whatever way is needed. We would
> gladly donate funds early to the campaign to help show momentum, we
> would be able to help write copy, we'll submit or videos as
> examples if needed, we'll promote the campaign through our social
> media channels, heck we can even offer up office space to
> developers at our coworking facility, so long as they don't mind
> living in Oklahoma. I'm sure that there are other ways that we
> might be able to help too.

Hey Derrick,

thanks for you encouragement!

@Ernie, @all: I'd go for indiegogo then. If there are no further
requirements preventing this I will open a campain as fast as
possible, hopefully this week. We could then post the video at some
later point.

How are the efforts for a script going?

regards

Till