[Kdenlive-devel] PATCH: Support for Dynamic Text Filter in Effect Stack

Brian Matherly pez4brian at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 22 13:18:08 UTC 2011

Hi Till,

>thanks for the patch and the filter! That's exactly what a number of
>people have requested.
>We are currently in string and feature freeze for the 0.8.2 release.
>I will review and commit your patch after the release.

The patch doesn't add any new translatable strings. Nonetheless, I completely understand letting the code stabilize before release.If you don't apply the patch before the release, I recommend adding "dynamictext" to the filter blacklist. The reason is that the filter is automatically discovered and loaded from the MLT repository properties in the current Kdenlive code. However, the current Kdenlive code doesn't display widgets for most of the parameters (actually, only geometry shows up). The patch adds the missing widgets to the effect stack. So it will be confusing for users if the filter appears in the effect list but they can't properly configure it.

>Looking at the screenshots: Maybe there could be presets for the text?
>Like an editable drop down (including '#filedate#', '#frame#', ...)?

I agree. A combobox would be perfect. That's on my todo list along with adding text outline and padding. The current patch is, in my opinion, the bare minimum needed to make the effect useful. I may end up adding new patches to the Mantis issue as I get around to adding those features. I also plan on writing a tutorial for the Wiki when the feature eventually gets released.

Regards,

~Brian