[Kdenlive-devel] Kdenlive 0.8.4 bugfix release

Evert Vorster evorster at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 08:12:51 UTC 2011

> If the scripts are that sloppy it's the wrong way to fix it
> upstream (I maintain a few hundred packages in ALT Linux).
> Even if that's a problem, there's a practice of putting up
> "a" releases, like 0.8.2a to hint that 0.8.2 was flaky.
> But someone's -0\.[0-9]\.[0-9]\. will choke either. :)
True... But just to be pedantic:
I always thought the version numbering is something like:
major\feature\bugfix

However, in the case of kdenlive, and a few other packages it appears
to be more like:
invariant\major\feature\bugfix
It's not a particular problem, but it's mildly annoying to have
varying numbers of fields in release numbers.

I am not the maintainer myself, but Sorcerer is maintained by
effectively one person, and having to keep tabs on thousands of
projects requires the help of some serious scripts, I presume. I am
sure that you will appreciate that having less variations to code
around is just a nice gesture?

I usually report odd bugfix releases of software I am interested in to
the maintainer, and they become available distro-wide a while later,
so it's not a major issue by any means.

-Evert-