[Kdenlive-devel] Kdenlive 0.8.4 bugfix release

Evert Vorster evorster at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 09:17:04 UTC 2011

On 7 November 2011 02:34, Vincent PINON <vincent.pinon at st.com> wrote:
> Alberto Villa wrote:
>> On Monday 07 November 2011 00:45:10 jb wrote:
>>> Great! At first I wanted to make it 0.8.2.1, but the changes will be more
>>> important than first thought...  with at least 6-7 severe bug fixes. That's
>>> why I thought 0.8.4 would be more appropriate.
>>>
>>> Anyways, I don't really care about these version's number, so if you think
>>> 0.8.2.1 is better it's ok for me, as long as I manage to fix these issues.
>> Not important at all. And your opinion on 0.8.4 makes sense. ;)
> To my opinion 0.8.2.1 would be more appropriate to state that 0.8.2 is
> not perfectly stable, and needs an upgrade without additional features,
> even if code changes are not so light...
> If I wanted to select an "old-stable" release I would take this into
> account. Usually incrementing he "second significant digit" implies new
> features, don't you think ?

If I can add my 0.2...

Changing the number of numbers in the release is a pain to handle in
automated scripts for distrobution maintainers.

Is Kdenlive ever going to get to a 1.0.0 release, or is the leading 0
going to stay like that forever?

In my opinion, kdenlive could follow the kernel dev's example, and the
version be bumped to 1.0.0. Then the second significant digit ( 1.x.0
) can be used for extra feature releases, and last significant digit (
1.0.x ) for bugfix releases.

In this manner, scripts can automatically pick up when a new release
is available, and the distro maintainer's job is a lot easier. As the
number of numbers in the release does not change.

-Evert-