[Kdenlive-devel] effects

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Wed Mar 30 17:58:53 UTC 2011

написане Wed, 30 Mar 2011 20:41:23 +0300, Jan Drábek <me at jandrabek.cz>:

> Dne 30.3.2011 19:26, Yuri Chornoivan napsal(a):
>> написане Wed, 30 Mar 2011 20:00:59 +0300, Jan Drábek<me at jandrabek.cz>:
>>
>>> Also the string has a lot of small mistakes:
>>> Undecided size of first letter of multiple words sentences/phrases
> I mean string like
> "Audio device" vs "Audio device:"
> "Border Width" vs "Border with"

There are KDE HIG guidelines for this:

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/Capitalization

If you find something inconsistent please file a bug report.

>>> Plural strings without any variable inserted (who quantify this?)
>> It is allowed by gettext.
> Some gettext translating programs consider this as error.

Can you give an example?

Did you mean something like the following?

#: src/stopmotion/stopmotion.cpp:287 src/stopmotion/stopmotion.cpp:288
msgid " second"
msgid_plural " seconds"

If so, then

http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/gettext.html#Plural-forms

Please report bug against your translation application.

>>> Numerical parameters (why is there 50 Hz? this should be same in all
>>> translations!)
>> That is not true (in Eastern Slavic languages this is definitely
>> translated (50 Гц))
>>
> What I meant is that number not "Hz" - this should be translated
> separately.
> (Why to have "100 Hz","10000 Hz","156 Hz")

Please take into account that it is hard or even impossible for developer
to use "%1 Hz" in resource file (not in C++ code).

>>> Characters (:::, :, alpha etc.)
>> Can be different in different languages.
> I accept that : (as divider of some informations) could differ, however
> this could take localization of KDE. With alpha I meant greek letter -
> which should be the same everywhere.

Did you mean that it should be α? If so, it cannot be used directly (it is
Unicode symbol).

>>> HTML inside translation (CDATA...)
>> This was intended (to keep HTML-formatting)
> I understand, but this is really ugly.

He-he, there is no viable solution now:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=4D22273C.9050501%40ttill.de&forum_name=kdenlive-devel

Hope, there will be someday.

>>> Names of real people.
>> These names can be transliterated (as they were transliterated to
>> Latin).
> We have unicode, why to transliterate names?

It is a good old tradition. ;)

Best regards,
Yuri