[Kdenlive-devel] default layout

Gabriel Gazzán gabcorreo at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 14:40:46 UTC 2011

I think we should make sure than users with, say, 1024 x 768 could be able
to use kdenlive without big shortcommings.
Then, of course, the more room the user has the better.
But when designing the default layout I think we should put in there just
the basic elements needed for comfortable and simple video editing, and
leave the more sofisticated scopes and control panels for alternative
layouts aimed at more specific tasks, such as color correction, audio
editing and the like.

Fom my experience I tend to work using the default layout in a big part of
my editing sessions. I suppose that could be indicative of a well designed
default layout in PremierePro.
Another thing that I like having at hand is the possibility of saving my own
layouts, for very specific tasks.

And last, the possibility of "reseting" a changed layout back to its
original form (but I suppose that's useful because of the way Premiere
layouts work: when you're using a specific layout and change something in
it, this changes are automatically incorporated into this layout, and from
this point on, everytime you activate this layout the changes are still
there. If you latter change your mind and want the original layout back, you
reset the layout to its original form with a Reset Layout option).

Speaking of useful layouts, I think one where the Project Tree, Clip and
Timeline Monitors are put side by side is very useful during heavy clip
selecting and trimming sessions. This one would allow for quickly moving
original clips from the Project Tree to the Clip Monitor for trimming and
then, after overlaying or inserting them in the Timeline, the Timeline
Monitor would allow to instantly see how's the editing going so far.

Greetings,
Gabriel