[Kdenlive-devel] --disable-mmx for MLT and other options for ffmpeg

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Tue Jan 11 18:33:04 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 6:28 AM, Simon Eugster <simon.eu at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been working on the «Installing from source» articles, set up a
> fresh Ubuntu 10.10 64bit in VirtualBox and gone through the whole
> installation process.
> Most of it at least. I cannot compile ffmpeg with x264. Therefore I

The problem is that ffmpeg head typically requires a newer version of
x264 than what is packaged.

> couldn't test MLT and kdenlive :P

I have a script extracted from the old kdenlive build wizard that
automates much of this including building x264 and libvpx from source
as well. I will look into adding that here somewhere.

> http://kdenlive.org/user-manual/downloading-and-installing-kdenlive/installing-source
>
> Comments welcome. Please improve if something is missing/bad/whatever.
> Especially regarding the ffmpeg flags; I have no idea whether they are
> good now.

--enable-postproc : mlt does not yet use libpostproc
--enable-x11grab : needed or auto-detected? not used by mlt or kdenlive anyways

The more dependencies on external libs increases the risk of failure.
Therefore, the following are irrelevant for most users:
--enable-libxvid
--enable-libgsm
--enable-libdc1394
--enable-libschroedinger
--enable-libopencore-amrnb
--enable-libopencore-amrwb

libfaac is still fairly interesting thereby necessitating the
--enable-nonfree. However, we should probably mention that is optional
along with --enable-libvorbis and --enable-libtheora.

>>> http://www.slashcam.de/news/single/Libvpx-optimiert-VP8-Dekoder-8524.html