[Kdenlive-devel] MLT Profiles

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Wed Mar 31 20:02:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 12:28 PM, John T. Mertz
<thatonefilmguy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> I don't disagree with you regarding there being 24p vs 23.976 editing
> formats, but afaik there is no 'HDV' format @ 24.000 fps.  All HDV
> cameras/decks will record at 23.976 frame rates.  So maybe it is just
> the name that is throwing me off.

Ah, right.

> In any case, there are already "HD 720p 24fps" and "HD 720p 23.98fps"
> settings, at least in the trunk version of kdenlive so this seems
> redundant as well.

Yeah, in the latest release of MLT, I added a more complete set of HD
profiles based on ATSC. Only HDV's non-square-pixel 1440 needs some
special profiles; however, I keep old profiles around for legacy,
backwards compatibility. People may have scripts or applications
choosing profiles by name that I do not want to break.

The stuff on the website is user-generated, but I do feel it should be
moderated. I just don't who know who does moderate it, and I certainly
don't want the the additional responsibility. Are you volunteering?
Maybe I can figure out how to give you that permission if JB or
someone else does not beat me to it.

> Thanks,
> -JTM
>
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Dan Dennedy <dan at dennedy.org> wrote:
>> 2010/3/30 John T. Mertz <thatonefilmguy at gmail.com>:
>>> Hi,
>>> Who manages the MLT profiles on the website?  A couple are wrong and should
>>
>> I dont know, but....
>>
>>> be deleted or corrected.
>>> The "DV PAL 4:3" MLT profile has a PAL frame size of 720x576, but a
>>
>> definitely should be removed as it is redundant with the official one
>>
>>> completely invalid frame rate of 3000/101.  That doesn't even match NTSC's
>>> rate of 29.97 fps (30000 / 1001).  It should be 25/1, but I am not sure why
>>> this is even necessary since afaik there is already a project profile
>>> available for this by default in kdenlive.
>>> Also, the "HDV 720 24p" profile has a frame rate of 24 / 1, but it should be
>>> 24000 / 1001, since 720p24 media is really recorded/displayed at a rate of
>>> 23.976.
>>
>> not correct. There are 2 "24p" frame rates. The correct one per film
>> and some higher end cameras as used in this profile and then the
>> "NTSC-compatible" one.
>>
>> --
>> +-DRD-+

+-DRD-+