[Kdenlive-devel] Bin columns

Alberto Villa avilla at freebsd.org
Wed Mar 31 13:10:04 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 31 March 2010 00:00:05 John T. Mertz wrote:
> I tried dolphin as you suggested but was only able to turn columns
> on/off, but I could not reorder them.

that's strange, i'm able to do that

> For example, the default display might have these columns:
> Clip Name | IN | OUT | Start | End | Duration | Description
>
> But I might rearrange it to display in this order:
> Clip Name | Description | Duration | Start | End | IN | OUT

what do you mean by IN and OUT? project clips in kdenlive don't have in and
out points... each item represents a whole clip
the same for Start and End: what are they?
this is just curiosity, it doesn't impact on this matter

> Then, usually the user can save a custom Bin View so that depending on
> what they are working on, they can load different bin views which
> would reload the column display and order that was saved (although a
> single, customizable bin view would be an excellent start).

...and that could be made a little more powerful by allowing also other
things, e.g. icons size, icon view vs. detailed view...

> Does this make more sense?

yeah!

> Obviously a lot of this metadata is not available (yet) in kdl, but it
> would be nice to have more of the metadata that IS available as
> separate columns rather than stuffed into a single column.  For
> example, currently the clip name, duration, and usage count of a clip
> is all shown in the Clip column. This should be spread out to
> different columns.

actually, i don't dislike this layout, it's very compact. but, following my
suggestion above, why not making different layouts available?

anyway, could you please test the attached patch? it should unlock the
columns (and adding a voice to the header popup menu, but that's not the
point). it appears that i'm not able to make it work here, but according to
the documentation (i've spent some time on the qt website and through the
kdenlive source) and considering that it wouldn't be the first time that
something builds wrongly on freebsd - and, perhaps, ccache it's doing its own,
too - this doesn't work for me (while a stupid 4-lines examples does)
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~avilla

Coincidences are spiritual puns.
		-- G. K. Chesterton