[Kdenlive-devel] Bin columns

John T. Mertz thatonefilmguy at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 22:00:05 UTC 2010

Hi alberto,

Yes, 'Bin View' refers to the project assets list (I.e. Video files,
titles, etc). Traditionally the project 'bin' and all subfolders
within it are called 'bins'.

In other apps such as Final Cut Pro, Avid, and Adobe, there is usually
a lot of clip metadata available to display as columns in the bin
view/project list or whatever you want to call it. Each column
displays metadata such as IN, OUT, Start timecode, end timecode,
format, duration, etc. The user can turn display of these columns
on/off (as kdenlive can do) but also the user can rearrange the
columns at will by clicking and dragging the column header to move it
thereby changing the column order.

I tried dolphin as you suggested but was only able to turn columns
on/off, but I could not reorder them.

For example, the default display might have these columns:
Clip Name | IN | OUT | Start | End | Duration | Description

But I might rearrange it to display in this order:
Clip Name | Description | Duration | Start | End | IN | OUT

Then, usually the user can save a custom Bin View so that depending on
what they are working on, they can load different bin views which
would reload the column display and order that was saved (although a
single, customizable bin view would be an excellent start).

Does this make more sense?

Obviously a lot of this metadata is not available (yet) in kdl, but it
would be nice to have more of the metadata that IS available as
separate columns rather than stuffed into a single column.  For
example, currently the clip name, duration, and usage count of a clip
is all shown in the Clip column. This should be spread out to
different columns.

Thanks,
-JTM

--