[Kdenlive-devel] Default title length

John T. Mertz thatonefilmguy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 12:56:00 UTC 2010

On a related note...

Out of curiousity, how are default title and slideshow duration
stored? I.e. As timecode xx:xx:xx:xx or as # of frames?

I suspect timecode because of a hack I made to get the DF timecode
display working properly for the add slideshow feature.

More importantly though is the question how SHOULD it be stored? If
the user works in frame count mode and enters a default duration of 25
frames (1 second @25fps), then we store it as 25 frames, the resulting
default title duration will change if the user switches project
formats to a new frame rate.

If we store it as timecode, then whole seconds are not a problem since
00:00:01:00 is 30frames in NTSC, 25 frames in PAL, and 24 frames in
24P.  However, the same issue can arise with fractional seconds if the
default value set by the user is timecode that is not rounded to 1
whole second (e.g. 00:00:05:13). This would have a different length in
every different frame rate project.

Should kdenlive simply live with this behavior? Most users will not
need to change project formats very often, much less frame rates
(although I think switching between 720p60 and 720p30, or 720p50/25
would be more common).

Alternatively, kdenlive could perhaps accept default length values in
frames or timecode, but then store it as fractional seconds. This way
it could be stored/retrieved accurately from the user's preferences to
always reflect the desired duration for the project format.

I.E. 00:00:02:15 (or 75 frames) in a 30fps project would be stored as
a value of 2.5 (seconds). If the user later switches to 60p project,
the default value would be retrieved as 00:00:02:30, or 150 frames.
Likewise they could switch to any other project format/framerate and
the default value would adjust accordingly. 2 decimal place accuracy
should be enough to store/recall default frame counts for all standard
formats.

Sorry if I seem off topic, it is something I have been wondering about
since writing the DF display patch.

-JTM

On 3/31/10, Till Theato <root at ttill.de> wrote:

--