[Kdenlive-devel] Keyframing: How are we doing it?

Simon Eugster simon.eu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 18:46:10 UTC 2010

Dear friends,

I've got a question about how keyframing is implemented at the moment.
Is it such that each effect has to do support keyframing by itself? Or
what is this working like at the moment?

The reason why I'm asking is because I'm intending to write a 3-way
color corrector, a better one that also supports CDLs[1] (at least
output), and I thought keyframing would be neat to have there as well.
And I thought it would be a loss of work implementing the same thing
over and over again. Because keyframing is mainly
* changing a value between two key frames continuously:
* linear
* non-linear (smooth curve) (not there yet, right?)
We've got keyframing in Saturat0r, Brightness, Volume, Composite, and
perhaps others. It is the same all time: Changing a value linearly.
Smooth curves would be really cool to have, especially for Composite.
There are even two variables that can be smoothed out: Position (e.g.
a clip driving around on the screen in a circle) and speed (which is
just constant at the moment, but might be smoothed out, like a
stopping car).

What is the current status?

Simon

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASC_CDL