[Kdenlive-devel] Titler needs to be re-done

Simon A. Eugster simon.eu at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 18:54:44 UTC 2010

Dear friends,

I'm tired of working on the titler.
Whenever I want to do something that could be implemented in 10 minutes it
takes ten times as long. There are various nasty things in the titler:
* Rects sometimes cannot be created when moving the mouse too quickly.
* Working on more than one object is not supported (especially moving,
resizing etc., from the graphicsscenerectmove)
* Every function has side effects. Usually when I want to change something
I do it in 5 minutes and then try to find out why it does not work for 5
hours until I find some side effect that isn't documented anywhere.
* Rotating, resizing, all that, do we have to reinvent it? That is what we
are doing right now.
* Keyboard shortcuts are overridden by _default shortcuts_
* SVG files do not work.

So what I suggest. Let's re-do the titler completely. Let's use code that
is already existing in Qt and not reinvent the wheel and add some bugs.
Let's do something that does not have to be fixed over and over again, and
then fixed again because the fixes introduced new bugs. Let's do some clean
code that is maintainable, which means
* Understandable code
* Good documentation
* No duplicate code

I decided to stop working on the titler as it is in the repository now. It
is just too much a pain. I can waste my time also with gaming, the result
is about the same.

Simon