[Kdenlive-devel] Color correction tools: How and where to implement them?

Simon Eugster simon.eu at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 17:25:34 UTC 2010

Hi lists, hi Dan,

As kdenlive lacks basic color information and correction tools like:
Information:
* Levels
* RGB parade etc
* Vectorscope/Waveform
Correction:
* Curves
* Values
* Others known from GIMP
* 3-way color correction (blacks, mids, whites)
I wanted to ask two things.

First thing is: We have been discussing about using Gimp, GEGL, and ShowFoto.
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=200907081050.55569.kamikazow%40web.de&forum_name=kdenlive-devel
http://www.kdenlive.org/forum/call-integrate-gegl-library-mlt-plugin
http://www.kdenlive.org/forum/studying-digikam-color-and-light-tools
What is the current status?
It is not long ago yet and we have all been busy, so maybe nothing has
changed since.
And about speed of GEGL etc.: My opinion: Better slow color correction
than no color correction at all.

Second thing: The color information tools. As far as I know most of
them would have to be programmed first. But how? I'm currently trying
to figure out how to calculate a vectorscope display (it seems that
everyone in the web knows how to do it, because there are plugins for
every possible tool, but they are always in binary form, and I have
been searching for hours for a formula and haven't found anything).
Now I could just make it a frei0r effect. But as a) frei0r seems to be
dead and b) a vectorscope is not used as effect that should be visible
in the rendered video, I want to ask you how this would best be
implemented. Ideally such that it is reusable by other programs.

The point is also, I would like to do it interactively. Means, if I
e.g. have a levels display[1] I would like to be able to select the
lower 25 % of the curve (all dark pixels) and have them highlighted in
the kdenlive project monitor. So I guess neither frei0r nor MLT would
be suitable for that at the moment? (I don't know MLT yet, and frei0r
only partially) Could MLT probably be extended this way, or is this
not intended?

Simon

[1] http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tool-levels.html