[Kdenlive-devel] Build kdenlive locally

Mikko Rapeli mikko.rapeli at iki.fi
Fri Jul 2 07:05:40 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 02:09:18AM +0000, velociraptor Genjix wrote:
> With Kubuntu kdenlive/mlt installed, I wish to build my own copy of kdenlive/mlt without installing or conflicting.
> So I built and installed mlt to a directory in home. How can I build kdenlive against that mlt and install it there? I read the README and checked the files out, but there's nothing there.
> How do you guys dev kdenlive? I'm sure you're not make install'ing mlt

I create and install them as packages. Install latest
ffmpeg, mlt, frei0r and kdenlive from Debian unstable and
debian-multimedia.org, and their build dependencies. Then I take ffmpeg, mlt,
frei0r and kdenlive from git, copy paste debian directories from the latest
source packages to the git trees, edit debian/changelog to add git commit id
and a time stamp, build and install the packages. Often I also remove stripping
from the debian/rules makefile, and sometimes run kdenlive from the source
tree with gdb.

With packages I can easily remove locally build packages and fall back to
packages from the distribution. And I can update the fast moving Debian
unstable distro on my machine.

Hope this helps,

-Mikko