[Kdenlive-devel] Editing AVCHD h264/AC3 files in kdenlive

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Tue May 5 00:48:20 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Philippe Landau <lists at user-land.org> wrote:
> Thank you, Dan :-)
>
> Dan Dennedy wrote:
>>> I would like to make a render profile that would do the equivalent,
>>> but for some reason it is failing, for which I will investigate the
>>> cause now.
>> The problem was just a typo on my part. This available now in Settings
>>> Download New Render Profiles...
> DNxHD 1920x1080 220 MB/s
> Very beautifully done, elegant modular solution,
> already downloaded 25 times.
>
>> Just add your AVCHD clip to an empty timeline with Project Settings
>> set to an appropriate ATSC (HD) profile. Then remove any empty space
>> before the clip on the timeline. Finally, choose Render and look in
>> Lossless/HQ > Custom. When done, add the newly rendered clip to the
>> project and timeline.
> Destination: Lossless/HQ: Custom
> Is it possible to automatically give the output file the same name
> as the input file, instead of "untitled.mov" ?

No, sorry. If could default to something better, it would have to
default to the project file's name - if you saved the project.
Kdenlive is not really a single file transcoder even though you are
using it that way in this workflow.

> "Render to file" uses both CPUs to 100%, well done :-)
>
> When configuring Kdenlive upon first launch,
> i am asked for a default video profile (Video Standard).
> HDV 1080 25p shows:
> - Frame size: 1440x1080
> - Frame rate: 25/1
> - Pixel aspect ratio:4/3 (a space is missing here after ":")
> - Display aspect ration: 16/9
>
> Shouldn't the frame size listed be 1080/9*16=1920 ?

Not for HDV. You should be using one of the ATSC project settings for
full 1920x1080. I am considering changing "ATSC" to simply "HD" since
ATSC is mostly for the US, and even in the US, it is commonly marketed
as "DTV." Would "HD" be better even though there is "HDV" (which is
actually slightly different)?

> If you want to make it easier for a newbie to use Kdenlive,
> Opening a video in Kdenlive could open the clip in a new project
> or in the currently open project.

Not a bad idea. Please consider adding a feature request to kdenlive.org/mants

> Also, instead of the first button "New"
> you could place "Add Clip" there.

There is already a button for Add Clip in the Project Tree panel.

> "New" is available as the first menu option and as Ctrl-n,
> and when opening Kdenlive a new project is opened anyway.

True, but New clears the timeline for a new project. The way things
are currently arranged is closest in behaviour to other non-linear
editors. I mainly work on MLT, and tend to leave UI considerations to
JBM and the other kdenlive devs who are doing such a great job.

--
+-DRD-+