[Kdenlive-devel] What is professional level work?

Mads Bondo Dydensborg mads at dydensborg.dk
Thu Jun 25 20:37:34 UTC 2009

Torsdag 25 juni 2009 skrev Oceanwatcher:

> What kind of tool is in my opinion needed? A tool that is as basic as
> possible. The focus should be on cutting video, and not on compositing.

Problem is, that it is very very hard to get people to "focus" on something,
if they are already following their personal goals - which people contributing
to free/open software tend to do. This is something very general with
free/open software projects, not a special thing about Kdenlive.

> And if you actually has read all the way down to this, I
> thank you for listening to these thoughts of mine whether you agree with
> them or not. Because that is your privilege.

Thanks. I tend to agree, but only because my personal itch is towards stable
software rather than featureladden software. People tend to belittle kino, but
kino was very very solid and did what it did very well. Every time I start a
video project in kdenlive, it seems I end up filing bugs about stability.
(Although the situation has improved tremendously during the last year!) But,
unfortunately, the people that actually do contribute (and not just talk like
me) seems to have other foci.

I can't think of any way to change their priorities, besides what Dan listed.
I am just happy they share their work with the whole world - including me.

I also think that Dan may have a point in catering to the masses. By getting
Kdenlive out to a larger userbase, we get distro support and more users. Some
of these become developers - there have been a number of contributions from
"new" people during the last 4 months. I do not have stats from the website,
but from the bug reporting, I can see that 85% of all bugs have been filed
within the last year, the remaining 15% was filed in the 10 months prior to
that. 431 people have created an account on the bug tracker, 82 visited within
the last month, about 30 was created within the same time. This is good, it
indicates that the userbase is growing larger, which is required for a
positive feedback cycle.

Regards

Mads

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg   mads at dydensborg.dk   http://www.madsdydensborg.dk/

The Bible tells us to be like God, and then on page after page it describes
God as a mass murderer. This may be the single most important key to the
political behavior of Western Civilization.
                       - Robert A. Wilson (Right Where You Are Sitting Now)