[Kdenlive-devel] off-line video editing

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Thu Jun 25 05:33:35 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 7:09 PM, Oceanwatcher<video at datahverdag.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 June 2009 19:17:42 Dan Dennedy wrote:
>> I just want to reiterate as the MLT developer that I ignore comments
>> about the needs of the professional market when it is not accompanied
>> by a contract proposal.
>
> And I think this is an extremely arrogant, offensive and unproductive attitude!

I admit you are correct about the tone. I need to find a better way to
address it without just being silent for the reason below...

> Just because you deem something professional, you close your ears to it?
>
> Just because someone (even an amateur) want to do it the same way as "the
> professionals" you ignore it?
>
> Just because people that do this for a living and know how things can be done
> with a minimum of effort give you their opinion, you don't want to listen
> unless you get money for it?
>
> I am really wondering what these words on the MLT wiki means:

I do not understand the question. The bulk of MLT was developed under
professional contract for broadcast video playout servers. However, it
turned out to be something much more useful for a number of
applications.

> --------------
> MLT is an open source multimedia framework, designed and developed for
> television broadcasting. It provides a toolkit for broadcasters, video
> editors, media players, transcoders, web streamers and many more types of
> applications. The functionality of the system is provided via an assortment of
> ready to use tools, xml authoring components, and an extendible plug-in based
> API.
> --------------
>
> If this is the general attitude in this project, I certainly do not want to
> have anything to do with it.
>
> And if I had the same attitude as you have, I should charge you for every bit
> of advice I give you on how to do things in a better way. THAT is how the
> professional world works!

Yes, advice and consulting can demand fees, but you are getting free
software here. I hope that you would be grateful to offer feedback in
exchange. However, I just do not like feature requests by simply
declaring that they are "professional" with little more explanation. I
also do not like to receive requests for advanced features or
behaviour that I think the common user would not much benefit from or
suggestions that they take a higher priority than things I think I or
the common user would benefit from.

When I suspect someone is using the software in a professional
capacity and needing something different, I ask for money in the hopes
that I may eventually work on MLT on a full-time basis - something
everyone would benefit from. As it stands, I do not have much time to
offer to the hobby tasks while working a non-MLT-based fulltime job
and the occassional MLT-based part-time contract. Therefore, my
priorities are driven by, in order: professional contract, personal
interests, popular interests (not the vocal minority) that will grow
the community to increase feedback (mostly on bugs and nuisances),
followed by the more esoteric or advanced features. The last category
more-or-less is not addressed until it elevates to one of the other
categories.

--
+-DRD-+