[Kdenlive-devel] Next release...

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Thu Jan 22 00:39:07 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 12:26 PM, reinhard <protux at web.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 11:24 +0100, jb wrote:
>> Hello everyone.
>>
>> I fixed several important issues in the last week that could corrupt project
>> files when re-opening them. So I think it is important to make a new release
>> soon.
>>
>> I would like to release the next version at the end of the month (31 of
>> january).
>>
>> One bug I want to fix for the release is:
>>
>> Crash related to folder handling and project/clip ids
>> http://www.kdenlive.org:80/mantis/view.php?id=540
>>
>> I?will also try to fix support for h.264 with b frame dropping:
>> http://www.kdenlive.org:80/mantis/view.php?id=494
>>
>> If you have other very important issues or comments, it's time to speak...
>
> Hi,
>
> bug 524 seems to be a real showstopper IMHO...
> http://www.kdenlive.org/mantis/view.php?id=524

I disagree. From what I have been able to reproduce you get 2
different results depending upon the order in which you add the
transitions. That is actually not totally unexpected, but it does
warrant further discussion about being able to express and see the
order of operations in a more explicit or consistent way.

> ...since actually it seems still not possible to create complex
> compositions with kdenlive.

That might be the case, but it is not a showstopper. I believe the
immediate goal is more robust, stable performance for basic operations
across a large number of formats.

> Just another simple example: actually it seems not possible to let a
> title clip fade in or out, which seems a very common task.

It is just not obvious. You are taught to use brightness with
keyframes to fade a clip to/from black. However, brightness does not
affect the alpha channel, by design. Instead what you need is to
convert the "Alpha transparency" transition to Composite and keyframe
the Opacity. I am wondering if "Alpha transparency" really has much
value since it is mostly just a subset of Composite, no?

--
+-DRD-+