[Kdenlive-devel] Next release...

Alberto Villa villa.alberto at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 23:54:51 UTC 2009

hi ivan

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 8:51 PM, Ivan Schreter <schreter at gmx.net> wrote:
> IMHO relative paths for resources _below_ the project directory are a
> must! When I create a project with several resources in same or lower
> directory and move the whole project elsewhere on the disk, it would
> break. Therefore, I don't think it's a clever idea to store absolute
> paths at all, even considering your point #2.
>
> Internally, you can store full paths in memory, but in XML project file,
> the paths should be minimized. I.e., only enter paths relative to the
> current project directory (where XML file is stored), if the resource is
> under it, and maybe for other resources, which can be addressed relative
> to $HOME, enter ~/<path to resource>. Resources which are completely out
> of place can only be stored (correctly) via absolute paths.
>
> But please, please, at least for project-local resources in same/lower
> directory, DO store only relative paths in XML file! Absolute paths in
> such case are evil - what if you are taking a project on USB stick to
> your friend? You cannot open it there, since paths are all wrong! Or
> sharing via repository, as Jean-Michel suggested.

automatic hash search is fast, anyway we could use relative paths with
files in the subtree of the .kdenlive file and of the project folder
(there's no risk to pick the wrong file if we always check the hash,
or at least the size - that would absolutely slow down opening of
projects through network shares... but who's using that, except
me?)... it was my will to use them actually, before the hash solution.
but i don't like really much the home ~ shortcut... what does jb and
everyone else think? i would work on this, but i'm still waiting for
my laptop (which has probably been sold by the repairer), so if it's
left in my hands it won't be out for next release - hopefully for 7.3
--
Alberto Villa <villa.alberto at gmail.com>