[Kdenlive-devel] AVCHD seeking committed into FFmpeg repository

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Mon Aug 24 00:07:52 UTC 2009

Not sure why this did not get to the MLT list.

2009/8/22 Ivan Schreter <schreter at gmx.net>:
> Hi all,
>
> FYI: since there were no objections from FFmpeg since a week, I've just
> committed my seeking patches to FFmpeg repository (revision 19681). MPEG-TS
> (and thus also AVCHD) seeking now works, at least for AVCHD movies from my
> Panasonic camcorder. I know that Canon camcorders had some issues with
> proper key frame detection (files are missing appropriate SEI messages), so
> they might still have a problem.
>
> As for MLT, I've updated my patch for the newest MLT revision (as of today,
> 2009-08-22). I didn't test it too much, though, but here it is attached. So
> feel free to test it.

That's great! I will apply the patch, but in a way that requires an
explicit configure flag to enable it.

> MPEG-PS movies (e.g., DVD VOB) don't work correctly with MLT patch only. Two
> patches for FFmpeg are still needed, one which introduces proper seeking for

I think I will name the flag --avformat-break-mpegps to make people
acknowledge the risk. My clients and I use a lot of non-VOB/DVD MPEG-2
Program Streams.

> MPEG-PS, one to fix a bug in mpegvideo parser. These patches are not yet
> accepted by FFmpeg, but I attached them here. They also cause seeking
> regression (patch NOT attached).

Please explain further the last line. I had first read it to mean:
applying the patches breaks seeking on ps when the app has not made
some adjustments. However, I do not understand what patch you refer to
when you say it is not attached.

--
+-DRD-+